How to conceal files on a Mac by using the Terminal application
- With the mouse, drag the files or folders you wish to conceal into the Terminal window to make them invisible. In the window, the location of the file is displayed. To conceal the files, use the Enter key.
On a Mac, how do you make hidden folders visible?
- The lengthy procedure for displaying hidden Mac OS X files is as follows: Open the Terminal application that you located in the Finder Applications Utilities. Copy and paste the following into Terminal: defaults Fill up the blanks with com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES. To return to the previous screen, press return. Holding down the ‘Option/alt’ key, right-click on the Finder icon in the dock, and choose Relaunch from the context menu.
- 1 How do I hide files on my Mac desktop?
- 2 Can you make a hidden folder on Mac?
- 3 How do you make a file private on a Mac?
- 4 How do I permanently hide hidden files on Mac?
- 5 How do I make a file invisible?
- 6 How do I see hidden folders on Mac?
- 7 How do I password protect a file in Mac?
- 8 Can I put a password on a folder?
- 9 How do I password protect a folder Mac?
- 10 How do I hide hidden photos on Mac?
How do I hide files on my Mac desktop?
With the help of Finder Open a Finder window and press the Command + Shift + Period keys at the same time. This will disclose all of the hidden files on your computer. Hide files by entering the same key combination as before: Command + Shift + Period (again).
Macs, like Windows and Linux, come pre-installed with a method for creating a hidden folder. However, because Mac OS X keeps some settings hidden, it can be a little difficult to find them. Creating a covert folder requires that the “hidden” option be selected for it. The Finder or other applications will then ignore this folder and will not display it by default.
How do you make a file private on a Mac?
Password-protecting folders on a Mac may be accomplished with Disk Utility.
- Disk Utility may be accessed using Spotlight. Select “File -> New Image -> New Image from Folder…” from the menu bar once the program has been launched. Choose the folder you wish to password lock from the drop-down menu and then select one of the encryption options from the drop-down menu. When prompted, enter your password.
The Most Convenient Method for Showing and Hiding Hidden Files CMD + SHIFT + is a keyboard shortcut. Press once to reveal hidden files and once more to conceal them. If you’re running a version of macOS that is earlier than Sierra, see Show/Hide Hidden Files Using Terminal Aliases for instructions on how to set up a toggle command using the terminal window.
How do I make a file invisible?
On a Windows 10 computer, learn how to create a hidden file or folder.
- Locate the file or folder that you wish to conceal. Click on it with your mouse and select “Properties.” Check the box labeled “Hidden” in the menu that comes when you click “OK.” At the bottom of the window, choose “OK.” Your file or folder has been made inaccessible.
You should press Cmd + Shift +. to expose the hidden folders if you want the folders to remain visible while you are working on them. When you no longer wish to view them, simply press Command + Shift +. once more. The hidden /Library folder may be kept visible by dragging the hidden Library icon from the Finder window to the Finder sidebar (see image below).
How do I password protect a file in Mac?
Create a password-protected PDF document with Preview on the Mac.
- Open a PDF or an image with the Preview application on your Mac. Pick File > Export as PDF from the menu bar, then click the Show Details option and then select Encrypt. Type a password, then retype it to ensure that the password is correct. Save your work by clicking on the Save button.
Can I put a password on a folder?
Choose the folder that you wish to password protect and then click “Open.” You’ll need to choose the picture format you’d like to use for your project. We recommend “read/write” since it will allow you to add and remove items later on if necessary. You may encrypt your folder and select a password at this point.
How do I password protect a folder Mac?
Here’s how to go about it:
- Open Archiver on your Mac and browse through its contents. Add files or folders to the Archiver app window by dragging them there. Click on “Archive” at the bottom of the window to save your work. Choose the type of zipped file that you want to produce. Select “Encrypt” from the drop-down menu
- Provide your password for the zipped file and double-check it. Select “Archive” from the drop-down menu.
- The Photos application is launched. You choose one or more images and then right click or control-click and select Hide from the menu. You may also use the menu bar to pick Image > Hide picture from the drop-down menu. Make sure you want to hide the photo by checking the box.